Monday, June 23, 2014

Old Earth Evolution vs. Young Earth Creation | A lopsided debate





I've certainly learned a great deal about the ongoing debate between young earth creationism and old earth evolution.  I'm just finishing up a semester of study on the topic, at Liberty University. I've also learned some about old earth creationism in independent study.  

My first question directed toward this complex issue would be, "Can I get a balanced view from an unbiased observer?"  

Unfortunately there don't seem to be any.  Christians are influenced by the Bible and God, and it's good and right that we are.  On the other side you have men and women claiming to be unbiased, but in fact they are either directly and consciously or unconsciously influenced by a philosophy prior to the conclusion, that of secular humanism, materialism or outright atheism.  Or what the late Christopher Hitchens called his anti-god view.  At least Hitchens was honest, and Hitchens also said that the one thing that gave his atheism a certain amount of pause was the anthropic principle.  Scientists tend to find it very difficult to ignore the fine tuning in the universe.  

But they find ways to ignore fine tuning.  Somehow they do.  They postulate multiple universes, multiple big bangs, and we just happen to be in the one universe that happens to be ideal.  It's like there's a giant arrow the size of the universe pointing to a giant billboard with flashing lights marked "GOD." And they see the sign, and then draw a little squiggly line into infinite darkness covering their eyes in willful ignorance.  It's entirely intellectually dishonest.  Einstein didn't want it, but in the end he had to accept the idea of intelligent design, though he did refuse the idea of a personal god instead favoring a pantheistic view.

On a side note, I've been meaning to contact the Institute for Creation Research because there are some things on the internet that deeply concern me.  Mainly my concern is with the articles on Wikipedia for "Young Earth Creationism" and "Objections to Evolution."  Both articles are harshly biased, obviously written by staunch atheists.  It's disturbing because so many millions of young people use Wikipedia as their fact source.  I'm wondering if some Christians who also interact on Wikipedia might be willing to go in and edit those two articles.  Anyone can edit articles on Wikipedia, but I'm not sure how personally.  

That brings up another issue: If atheists are so sure God doesn't exist then why are they so hostile toward adherents of Christianity and our supposedly invisible God?  I don't think I'll ever get a good answer to that one.  I guess what I'm trying to point out is just how polarizing the debate is.

I can't say I've firmly come down on either side of the debate.  I've recently read The Young Earth by John Morris.  It was an excellent text book on scientific evidence behind the young earth view. Regarding the dating of rocks I felt like Morris could've gone into further detail.  He showed how the tests are highly inaccurate, but never gave a clear explanation of why it should instead just be thousands of years.  Even if the various dating methods show a range between 1 million years and 2.2 billion years, still it's coming up as at least 1 million years.  So why is that?  Are dating tests all entirely inaccurate?  Morris has made a great impact on my view of the age of the Earth.  

But I have many other influences, deeply reputable Christian men who believe in an old earth.  Mainly who comes to mind are people like Frank Turek and William Lane Craig.  Should I discount those views as wrong?  I'm not sure.  The topic needs more study. Youtube is a great source for video presentations on just such topics.  I intend to pursue the topic by watching speakers like Ken Ham, Frank Turek, Ravi Zacharias, Norman Geisler, JP Moreland, Os Guiness, and Francis Collins.  I'm sure I'll learn a great deal.  I'm always grabbing good books on Amazon, so I'll look there for more books on these topics.  I intend to keep the Morris book and use it to teach my children the view for their consideration.

Recently teaching of creationism was outlawed in the United Kingdom in their public school system.  Another question I have is this: Given that intelligent design is an entirely plausible conclusion based on scientific data alone, without any need for the Bible or religious views, then why can't it be taught in public schools?


How can we get the creation view back in public schools?  Evolution and materialist philosophy being taught to 95% of the young people of the United States is absolutely decimating Christianity, it's slaughtering it in the country. It's also leading to all kinds of problems, the most noticeable being the economic problems which at their root seem to be caused by deceptive business practices in big business and banking.

Only materialistic evolution in public schools today.  That's the locked gate that must, must, must be opened!  If at least to see intelligent design taught, that would be something.  It's intellectually dishonest to exclude intelligent design along with the Bible.  It reveals a crooked and terrible plot to turn this nation into a depraved atheist hell hole.  That's what's happening.  And I'm not overstating anything, turn on the television, listen to some MTV music, and you'll realize it's much worse than most are willing to admit. 

The next area to breach is the college campuses.  Ironically most top colleges in the country were started by Christians, as Christian universities.  Harvard, Yale, and Princeton just to name a few.  Oh, but the evils of organized religion and on and on they rant..

The problem isn't that there is a debate between the young earth and the old earth.  The problem is that there isn't much of a debate.  One view is ejected and openly mocked, the other is taught as undisputed fact.  There is a word for such a practice, it's called propaganda.  In my view it will take dedicated Christian truth warriors to take it upon themselves to be called to ministries of changing these terrible dynamics in the United States.  Otherwise all will be lost.  

Is that you?

I hope so.  Someone has to take up these tasks.  So why not you?  

As I've written recently, we need dedicated uncompromising, incorruptible Christians in vital areas of influence in the United States and the West overall if we're going to stem the tide of atheism and depravity destroying the fabric of sustainable culture in the world.  

I hope it's you who begins a mission today to change things.  It only takes one.  I'm just one man.  But this blog your reading has been read by over 23,000 in over 100 countries.  One person can change the entire course of history.  God uses the most unlikely people to change the course of the world.  Maybe he's calling you to be one of his world changers, today

Old earth, new earth?  I couldn't say with one hundred percent certainty.  What I can say with 100% certainly is that in the beginning God created.  

I will continue my diligent studies.  I will continue working tirelessly to see Christianity grow, and as a result; that as many as possible might meet and know Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of their sins, the rebirth of their bankrupt souls, and the eternal life I so richly have been given; that I might bring as many as possible with me to the next phase of existence in intimate communion with the God of the Bible. 

May our God be with you, go in peace.